What are local social service providers seeing and hearing?
Social Services Waimakariri collates information provided at the many forums and meetings that take place in Waimakariri every month, and helps inform the key social service issues for our District. The following are the top issues identified by our Social Service providers, listed in order of priority:
Top issues reported in SEPT/OCT 2017
- A shortage of affordable housing
- Financial hardship for working families
- Mental Health & Addiction issues
- Self harm among adolescents
Top 5 issues reported in 2017 (in order of priority)
- Lack of affordable and suitable housing
- Anxiety and depression - Self harm among young adolescents
- Financial issues, cost of living and debt
- Complexity of issues and clients’ needs
- Relationship breakdown among families
NB All lists are in order of priority - trends have been identified by multiple agencies, and where any agency has voiced the same issue at multiple meetings across any given month, they have only been recorded a single time. Trends have been identified from information collected at the following local monthly meetings; Family Violence Network, Kaiapoi Community Network Forum, Rangiora Community Network Forum, Oxford Community Network Forum,Social Inclusion Initiatives Group, Volunteer Coordinators Network, North Canterbury Youth Services Network, Waimakariri Health Advisory Group, Social Services Waimakariri Advisory Group, North Canterbury Food Bank Forum, and Pastoral Care Reports.