What are local social service providers seeing and hearing?
Social Services Waimakariri collates information provided at the many forums and meetings that take place in Waimakariri every month, and helps inform the key social service issues for our District. The following are the top issues identified by our Social Service providers, listed in order of priority:
Top issues reported in July/august 2017
- Agencies and services reporting being under considerable pressure/overloaded (referrals and impacts of new responsibilities)
- A shortage of affordable housing
- High waitlists
- Anxiety - children and adults
Top 5 issues reported in 2017 (in order of priority)
- Lack of affordable and suitable housing
- Anxiety and depression
- Financial issues, cost of living and debt
- Complexity of issues and clients’ needs
- Relationship breakdown
NB All lists are in order of priority - trends have been identified by multiple agencies, and where any agency has voiced the same issue at multiple meetings across any given month, they have only been recorded a single time. Trends have been identified from information collected at the following local monthly meetings; Family Violence Network, Kaiapoi Community Network Forum, Rangiora Community Network Forum, Oxford Community Network Forum, Mental Health Focus Group, Social Isolation Working Group, Volunteer Coordinators Network, North Canterbury Youth Services Network, Waimakariri Health Advisory Group, Social Services Waimakariri Advisory Group, North Canterbury Food Bank Forum, and Pastoral Care Reports.